If you enjoy working around the house, you think that you can handle every plumbing problem that comes your way. While it is good to fix things before it worsens, you have to understand that sometimes you can cause more harm than good. Tackling a problem because you cannot identify if it is an emergency or not can lead to further damage.
It is best to leave things to the experts or plumber in delaware county pa. Here’s how to determine if the plumbing problem is an emergency:
- Leaking water heater: keep in mind that leaks from your water heater can lead to a major wall and floor damage – especially if it quickly fills the drip pan. At the onset, you should check the basin to determine if the problem is coming from the water heater. If the leak is from the water heater, you should shut off the cold water line, which carries water to your system. The valve is located above or on the side of the heater.
- Extreme hot water: if you feel a burning sensation when showering, you should stop using the heater, shut off the main valve and then turn the heater off. You need to call a plumber immediately to assess the situation because this may indicate over-heating. If it is not fixed, it will raise the risk of bursting.
- Dripping faucet: dripping faucet is just annoying but not very problematic. When you try to turn it off, you should use your hands. If you use a wrench on its shut-off valve, it can quickly turn into a full-blown leak. If you cannot turn off the faucet by hand, you should attempt to turn off the water supply to your home. If you know the inner workings of a faucet, you can attempt to replace it but if not, you should leave it to the experts.
- Leaking pipes: leaking pipes signify a greater problem. There is little that you can do about it because it requires a professional to replace or repair using the right tools. Do not attempt DIY fixes because it can cause more harm than good.
- Frozen pipes: when you see a frozen pipe, you should check if the pipe has split open or if there are any broken spots. This is an emergency so you have to call the plumber immediately. To avoid this problem, you should wrap the pipes to insulate them.
- Toilet issues: if you have toilet problems, it is considered an emergency. If you cannot tackle it using a plunger, you should call a plumber immediately. The plumber will remove the clog at the same time prevent the wastewater from harming you or your home.
- Odd smell: if your house smells like sewage especially when you turn on the faucet, it is an emergency. Keep in mind that foul smell usually indicates that you have a major problem.
A good rule of thumb is to call a plumber when you find water damage with the unidentified source. The severity of the situation will vary greatly that is why you have to call a plumber immediately.